Arroz con Pollo: (Rice with Chicken Colombian stile)
For the chicken broth
- 1 Chicken Breast
- 1 green onion
- 2 cloves of garlic smashed
- A few branches of cilantro
- 1 branch of rosemary
- 1 branch of thyme
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper whole
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 teaspoon of fajita seasoning (optional)
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of saffron
For the rice
- 1 cups of frozen mix of peas, carrots and corn
- 1 cups of rice
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 2 sausages (optional) cut in small slices
- Make sure the broth is good on salt and adjust if needed
Hogao: (tomato and onion sauce)
- 6 Roma tomatoes
- 1 small white onion
- 3 green onions
- 3 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 cloves of smashed garlic
- 1 teaspoon of fine chopped capers
- ½ teaspoon of cumin
- 1 tablespoons of ketchup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, add 4 cups of water, then add the chicken with all the ingredients for the chicken broth. Once the chicken is cooked, put it on a side and strain all the liquid, and save it. Shred the chicken.
- In another saucepan, cook the sausage, then set a side, in the same sauce pan, fry the rice with a tablespoon of oil. Then add the 2 cups of chicken broth and the frozen veggies. And bring it to a boil. After is boiling low the temperature to a medium hi heat and cook uncovered until all the liquid is almost evaporated but not dry. Then low the temperature to the lowest, you can place a skillet or a Comal under the pan to lower the temperature even more, and cooked covered for another 10 min. The consistency of the rice needs to be fully cooked and loose grains.
- For the Hogao (tomato and onion sauce): cut the onions, tomatoes and the whole green onions into small pieces, add the oil to the pan and heat it up, add the onions and the garlic and cook until gets soft, then add the capers, cumin, salt, pepper and the tomatoes. Let it cook until the tomatoes get a really soft almost puree, you can add more oil if it’s getting to dry and also you can add a little bit of the chicken broth. When the tomatoes are done, add the ketchup and cook for another 5 min. You may not need the whole hogao recipe, but you can save the rest like any other sauce and use it on something else.
- To assemble the arroz con pollo: In a big container put half of the rice, half of your chicken, half of the sausages and start putting some hogao a tablespoon at a time, mix everything carefully, making sure that everything looks evenly mixed. Add the rest of your rice, chicken, sausages and mix again adding just enough hogao, be careful not to make it too wet with the sauce.
- Enjoy it with some avocado and a side of salad.
This is how I cooked the chicken with all the herbs and spices...
This is the chicken broth after I strained it.
And this is the Hogao! Tomato and onion sauce.