Crispy Pork Belly Arugula Salad
CRISPY PORK BELLY ARUGULA SALAD
Pork belly is one of my family's favorite dishes, maybe because it reminds us of the flavor of Mexican carnitas, or maybe it's just because the taste of pork is so yummy! I have been trying to find the best way to cook the crispiest pork belly and I found it! It is so crunchy on the outside, tender in the inside, and tasty at the same time.
- 2lb of pork belly
- 1 tbs White vinegar
- 1 Tbs Chinese five spice
- 2 cups of coarse salt
- 1 egg white
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
For the dressing:
- 1 cup of honey
- 2 tsp of ginger powder
- 1 clove of garlic sliced
- 1 tbs of fresh scallions
- 3 tbs of soy sauce
- 1 tsp lemon peel
- the juice of a lemon
- a handful of cashew
- Rinse your pork belly and then pat it with a paper towel on both sides to dry it.
- Poke a lot of holes hitting both sides of your pork belly with a spiked meat tenderizer, this is going to make the difference in the texture of the meat.
- Brush the fatty side of the pork belly with white vinegar.
- Rub the Chinese five-spice on the meaty side only.
- In a bowl, mix the salt, egg white, and apple cider vinegar.
- Then, cover the bottom of the pan with foil and place the pork belly, Chinese five-spice facing down in the pan. Cover the pork belly with the salt mixture and place it in a preheated oven at 350° for 90 min.
- Roast your cashew until golden brown.
- After 90 minutes, take the pork belly out the oven, crack the salt crust, and remove the salt from the pan.
- Put the pork belly back into the oven for another 90 min.
- Once it's crispy, cut it into 2-inch wide rectangles approx.
- Add some olive oil to a medium heated saucepan and add the garlic and scallions. Let them cook until crunchy but don't burn them.
- Add the honey, ginger, soy sauce, lemon peel, and lemon juice, let it simmer on medium-low heat for 10 min, turn off the heat and add the cooked pork belly, cover it with the dressing on both sides.
- Serve on a bed of arugula and add a few roasted cashews and a little bit of dressing.
This amount should be enough for at least 4 servings.